Thursday, July 23, 2009

Beet Largesse

Some people really don't like beets. Thankfully, we are not those people.

This year Nora and I decided to invest in a pressure canning setup. This week a few people decided that beets were not for them, so we roasted them (my favorite way to eat a beet) and canned them. They looked so pretty on the counter, that I thought I would share.

Anyone have a good borscht recipe? Mmmm.... borscht. I did not know I liked it until we went to a really yummy polish restaurant in Montreal on our honeymoon. If you are ever in Montreal, stop by Stash Café. With all the incredible food in that city, we went back a second time.

In addition to the beet canning, we have been blanching and freezing kale and beet greens for those dreary winter months.

To blanch greens:

Wash and stem the greens.
Cook for 4 minutes in boiling water.
Plunge greens into ice water
Put in a colander or on kitchen towels to dry.
Freeze in freezer bags in a thin layer (so that it is easy to break off a portion later).

Hope everyone is ready for the tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment